I discovered that all the pagentry, organ music, robes, recipricol prayer, and traditions drove me crazy!! I hated it! No wonder I couldn't feel God there - for me, this was a language I did not speak... did not understand. But when we went to our first "rock-n-roll" service, I found Him... I did not even know this rock-concert-style of worship even existed - and I was nearly stunned with the power of it.
God came in many forms:
- The voice of the lead singer, bathed in spotlights - pouring his heart and soul into every song,
- The harmonies of the Worship Team singing in tandem,
- The swell of the music created by the band (drummer, guitars, keyboards, once an electric-violin!) - all of them church members and volunteers,
- The lyrics of each song that touched something deep in my heart,
- The vibrations from the speakers (we sit only three rows away) echoing through my body,
- The energy of the Pastor in his sermon and the powerful message he delivers,
- The people - strangers, at first - who reached out and welcomed us,
- And did I mention the MUSIC...?! :)
This is the only church I've attended where I miss it when we aren't there on a Sunday... where I look forward to being there every week. Of course, we don't attend just for the music - we go there for Worship - but the music was the hook that reeled us in. Just as Jesus called to Simon and Andrew to become fishers of men, CCM is casting out their lines and bringing more and more people to Christ. When we started at this church, the average attendance was about 1,200 people in a weekend. Fast forward two short years, and we are averaging over 2,000 worshippers in that same time span!! Talk about a great catch!
Have you found God in your church? Do you feel Him each Sunday? Do you hear His messages to you? Maybe your style of worship is along the more traditional route. Maybe you need the robes and the chants and the routine. Maybe you are like me and crave the concert-style worship that also has you singing along in the car to the same tunes. Regardless of your preferred method, there IS a style out there that will tune itself to your own personal rhythm - that will make you feel like you have, indeed, found a church HOME.
And coming Home, is the best feeling in the world...!
As Jesus walked beside the Sea of Galilee, he saw Simon and his brother Andrew casting a net into the lake, for they were fishermen. "Come, follow me," Jesus said, "and I will make you fishers of men." At once they left their nets and followed him. (Mark 1:16-18 NIV)
I have added an iMeem playlist to my blog - you should be able to control the play-vs-not option yourself. I hope you enjoy some of my favorite songs!