Friday, January 21, 2011

If 7-year olds ruled the world...

My kids have a new app on their iTouches called "POCKET GOD." It's a game where you get to "be God" and rule over an island controlling everything. All I have to say is after watching Luke play this, it's a GOOD THING that 7-year olds don't control the world!!! Luke's favorite thing to do is SMITE his island inhabitants (for no good reason) with bolts of lightning. The little pygmies incinerate into ashes and "God-Luke" moves on to another hapless victim.



I joke with my friends about "Maggie's World" all of the time - "In Maggie's World, those idiot drivers would be eliminated..." "In Maggie's World, that would NOT happen!" It's gotten to be a running joke by now - this magical place where it's all about me and everything runs according to MY plan. There is even a newly-created MagsWorld Blog where I'm just posting the funny, obnoxious, (and hopefully!) witty things that make me laugh.

But the reality is that, despite how awesome it would be, the world does NOT revolve around me. Or you... Or you. And thankfully, MERCIFULLY, none of us are the ones holding the Smite Stick. God is infinitely patient, infinitely wise, and overwhelmingly generous. He overlooks our (numerous!) faults, and He forgives our (un-ending!) mistakes.

The Lord is good, a Strength and Stronghold in the day of trouble;
He knows (recognizes, has knowledge of, and understands)
those who take refuge and trust in Him.
Nahum 1:7 (AMP)

If God was a rigid as I want to be in "Maggie's World," the only one happy... would me. And that makes for a terrible "God." Our God is GOOD... all the time. He is not swayed by selfish desires or urges to manipulate those for fun or given to smiting people for no good reason.

So when things get crummy (and believe me, sometimes, things can suck beyond the telling of it!), remember that it's not a mortal with a God-complex running the show. It is really GOD... our all-powerful, all-knowing, generous, benevolent God.

And thank GOD for that.
:) Mags
Pin It! Share this article on Pinterest!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

If we really thought about having the power to do certain things we can find parts of it that are not really that great. I too am so glad that our God is still in control.