Tuesday, April 15, 2008

God Didn't Lose His Marbles... We Did..!

My 7-year old swallowed a magnetized marble last week. The swallowing part was, undoubtedly, an accident. WHY he put it in his mouth is anyone's guess!

This "marble madness" has resulted in two 2-hour visits to the Urgent Care, 2 sets of x-rays, daily "poop watch" as we check his output for the marble, and a lot of stress.


I stopped several times over the last couple of days to listen for the lesson that God was telling us... (remember, the "God allows hardship in our lives to warn us we're on the wrong path" I talked about a little while back?). But right or wrong, I've determined that there isn't a specific lesson for us... this time. Sure, my son will hopefully never put a marble in his mouth again (ooooh... maybe THAT'S the lesson!). Yes, my husband was amazingly calm about the entire incident (and I'm sure God was helping him AND me not go off on our kid by yelling asking such helpful questions like "WHY WOULD YOU PUT A MARBLE IN YOUR MOUTH ANYWAY?! IT'S NOT FOOD!!!"). So I started thinking about others impacted by this wayward marble...

Maybe one of the nurses, or doctors, or x-ray technicians at the Children's Urgent Care NEEDED this marble experience for some reason or another. Maybe it was a learning experience for a resident - and tiny experiences like this, will one day help her (or him) save a child's life. If you've ever read The Five People You Meet In Heaven by Mitch Albom, you know that the main character, Eddie, had believed his life to be a complete waste of time... a series of failures. But after his death, he learns (from the five people he meets in Heaven) all of the answers to his questions... that is life was a series of connections from one person to another and that even the routine moments in his daily life had MAJOR (positive!) consequences for other people - even complete strangers.

The people you meet in your life are there for a reason - so while I would have REALLY appreciated it if God had zapped my son with an ounce of common sense the moment before he put that marble in his mouth, I know that one day, in Heaven, I'll have the answers to what this incident really taught someone... whether it be me... or some other person. But for now, I'll have to be content to go and check my son's next BM for a flash of spherical metal!! *wink*
Pin It! Share this article on Pinterest!

3 comments:

Heather S. said...

I hope that this whole experience "passes" quickly and that soon you'll be able to look back and laugh at the whole event.

I think it's very true that less things are coincidental than we realize, and we may never know (in this life) who else we have affected. I also believe that one of the greatest gifts our Heavenly Father has given us is the freedom to make our own choices. Some trials come from our own poor choices and some come from other people's poor choices, but there is always something that can be learned by someone, and hopefully we emerge from the experience a stronger person with God's help. He is guiding us and whispering to us; my big challenge is to tune out the other noise so that I can hear Him!

Mags said...

For those interested... THE MARBLE IS OUT!! :) We never found it in the "output" - but we had a follow-up X-ray yesterday, and it showed that my son is marble-free! Hooray! Thanks, God, for helping this experience "pass" smoothly with a good outcome!!! :)

Heather S. said...

Yay for no more poop duty! I'm glad that everything came out ok :)