Saturday, April 5, 2008

I Found God At The Gym...



It is the only possible answer - that God has been coming with me to the gym... because Lord knows, I've not been working out entirely under my own power!!!

A lil' bit of history:
I lost 30 pounds in 1998 (before kids), went from a size 14 to an 8, and kept it off for 2 years. This was due entirely to "portion-control" - I did MINIMAL exercise - and swore off French Fries (if you've read the "My Thighs Are Made Of Thighs" poem in an earlier post, you know this must have been extremely HARD for me!!!).

Eventually, (of course!), I let fries back into my life, gained it all back, and more, had two kids, still didn't exercise, and ended up about 60+ lbs. overweight!
(surprise, surprise... insert eye roll here!)

Going back to the strict diet was not working for me - I was hungry ALL of the time and thought about food ALL of the time... it seemed that I needed to finally "move on purpose" to help get myself fit.

So dear hubby and I joined Lifetime Fitness (along with half our neighborhood - it really helps to work out with friends, for sure!).

And I prayed: Dear God, I invite you... PLEASE!... come with me to the gym. Help me stay focused. Help me see results. Help me not require oxygen or a life squad. Help make the sore muscles, sweat, and fatigue all worth it. And help me feel empowered to take this weight-loss task on.


And so God came with me to the gym...as did my friend, Steph. :)


I've been doing some kind of tortune machine (cardio, Cybex, elliptical, or treadmill) or a class (with some perky aerobic queen in a sassy, short skirt) 5-6 days a week.

Okay, it's only been one week.

BUT, I lost 4 pounds!!!

And I did eat this week - no binging (that helps), but I did have lasagna, and bread, and even BBQ wings. But what I found out was that when I asked God for help, HE HELPED!

He gave me the strength to do a workout... and even gave me a small bit of... was it really?!...EAGERNESS... to work out.

He gave me the lack of hunger so I wouldn't snarf down every piece of crap I could find in our "magic pantry."

He gave me some significant results quickly so I wouldn't give up.

And He gave me friends at the gym.

What is your biggest challenge right now?

Can you take a moment to invite God into to help you with it? I promise you, he's got the stamina to keep up with you in whatever your task... even when he's pushing me to do those last 5 minutes on the elliptical!

:) Mags









Pin It! Share this article on Pinterest!

1 comment:

Heather S. said...

Way to go, Maggie! That is awesome!