Friday, August 1, 2008

I Found God In Grace...

The other day I was putting together a hasty lunch for my boys. It involved re-heating some leftover penne noodles from Carrabba's... quick, but one of my kids' favorite meals. They'll eat noodles anytime!!

As I passed out their plates, my youngest said, "Let's say grace to Momma because she made these yummy noodles!" Luke then proceeded to say our standard grace "God is great, God is good, Let us thank Him for our food" except for he subbed in "Mommy" instead of God. I had a moment of "Ack! Watch out for lightning!" But, I couldn't help but smile from ear to ear. Receiving a genuine, no-one-prodded-him-into-saying-it THANK YOU from one of my kids always makes me feel really, really good. :)



I figured that God would share in my pleasure - given that Luke was following the whole Honor-Thy-Mother part of His commandments. And I wondered if God is just as tickled when one of His own children gives Him an honest thank you.

So often we are shrieking out to God in desperation, in peril, in stress, in anger, in frustration, in sadness, or in some major meltdown when life has us overcome. Very rarely, I suspect, do we stop and say a simple THANK YOU to Him for the blessings He has given us.




The last two days have been trying in my house. My husband had to travel this week, and we're still trapped in the humid summer days with no-school-to-keep-them-occupied which means the kids are driving each other (and me!) crazy at every turn. I know I've asked God more than once to zap my kids with the MUTE Button or gift me with a short period of deafness so I could have some peace and quiet. (He's chosen not to grant those blessings *sigh*) But when my son offered his thanks for the simple act of serving noodles for lunch, a lot of my frustration from the day just melted. A "thank you" can soften the hardest of hearts... and turn around someone's day.

And of all the beings in this world, I'm sure that God would appreciate some thanks as well.

Thanks for reading this blog today,
♥Mags
Pin It! Share this article on Pinterest!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the reminder.

Anonymous said...

Love that Luke!!!!