Sunday, June 22, 2008

Everyday Places Link Added To Footprints Site... aka "I Found God In Humility..."

After linking to the Mary Stevenson Footprints site in the last post, I took a moment to surf their site and learned a lot more about the famous poem... its origins and the four authors who claim authorship to it. It's a rather interesting set of circumstances; you ought to stop by their site as well. Anyway, while I was there, I submitted this blog to their Links page... and I found out this week that it was accepted! *pause to jump up and down in praise... Whoo-Hoo!*




I know it's small... but I was so thrilled to have someone "official" like this blog enough to "recommend" it on their Links list. Maybe they'll take anyone who asks, but I prefer to think they are highly discriminatory on where they will refer their site traffic...! :)



And the thrill I feel to have the link "published" somewhere else... and the yearning to share the news with anyone who will listen reminded me of part of a passage I read once in Matthew 6:1 & 4:



Be especially careful when you are trying to be good so that you don't make a performance out of it....Just do it—quietly and unobtrusively. That is the way your God, who conceived you in love, working behind the scenes, helps you out.


It's the "do it - quietly and unobtrusively" that gets me everytime!! :( In Gary Chapman's book, The Five Love Languages, I'd be the one who needs "Words of Affirmation" the most. Maybe it's from being that "kick-me-kid" in elementary school.... Maybe it's a need to be an attention-hog... Who knows?! I do know that I was the one who needed my name listed clearly on the Honor Roll (not just the A on my report card), who needed my name in the "credits" for my submissions to the yearbook, who wanted that recognition for accomplishments. I've heard of people who drop off a dinner "anonymously" for a family in need or a friend having a hard time. Sadly, I'm not sure I could ever do that...! I'd be happy to drop off the dinner... but I'd need to add a note saying "thinking of you... From MAGGIE BUCKLEY!" *sigh*

Philippians 2:3 says "Do nothing out of selfish ambition or vain conceit, but in humility consider others better than yourselves."

In light of the blog add, I'm hoping to separate "selfish ambition" from "honest praise to God for inspiring me to write this blog and getting it noticed and read by other people on the .Net and not just my friends!" :)

But I think there is a difference between "pride in your work" from "pride in oneself." I am so proud of this blog and hope it touches everyday, ordinary people who are looking for answers on their own Christian journey, B U T, I know that my best writing comes when I am truly inspired by God. When I have listened closely and written the stories He wants me to share, those have been the best posts! Yet, there have been many-a-post where I started off on my own tangent... only to delete it after I realized that I wasn't making any sense!

Proverbs 29:23 says Pride lands you flat on your face; humility prepares you for honors. Yet, already, I AM honored... honored to write this blog... and honored to share it with you.

Have a great day,

:) Mags

Of course, old habits die hard.. so feel free to throw the needy, affirmation girl a bone and leave a comment on the blog! :)

Pin It! Share this article on Pinterest!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

You are AWESOME!!!! I am so amazed at all of your insight. I know you have it, and I have enjoyed it for years.
I am so proud of you in all of your postings!!!!


Annie T