Tuesday, June 10, 2008

I Found God In Patience...

Don't get me wrong... I don't actually have any patience left! It's only been 5 days since school let out for the summer and my kids are driving each other (and me!) c-r-a-z-y! If you've ever seen the cartoon, Tom & Jerry, those two characters are the epitome of my kids... 90% of the time they are at each others' throats while the 10% of the time, they are working together in peace and harmony... albeit to gang up on someone else...!

The hard thing about summertime, is that there is too much "dead" time during the day. We do household chores, read books, visit the library, run errands, have "screen" time, go swimming, attend various camps and vacation Bible schools, etc., but there are still HOURS left in some days where there isn't an activity planned... and that's when the whining starts....

"Mom.... Can I.......?"

"Mom... He's wrecking my train track...!"

"Mom... Can I play DS (again)?"

"Mom... He's hitting me...!"

"MOM...! He hit me first...!"

"MOM...!"

"MOM!"

"MOM!"

"MOM!"

Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh! If someone ever invented a kid-mute button, he/she would be one rich inventor, for sure! Sometimes, I'd just like to envelope my kids in an entire "Mute Bubble" where they could make all the noise they want... but I wouldn't hear it! *wink!*

Of course, I feel guilty as all get-out for even thinking that... let alone typing it on a public blog for the whole world to read!! But it's true... there are days, when I'm really, really, REALLY weary of all the whining, fighting, complaining, and general noise...!


And I wonder if God ever feels the same way? I guess, because he's the LORD, and all, that he doesn't get weary of our non-stop voices in his ear... Our whining, complaining, berating... our thinking that "if WE were God, we'd do it THIS way..." Our tears, our boo-boo's, our admonishments, our wailing, our overall NEEDINESS!

Did you ever see the movie, Bruce Almighty? Jim Carrey gets a chance to "be" God, and the cacophony of voices in his head - the prayers, the begging, the praises, the requests, the noise from everyone in the world - is too much for him to handle let alone decipher and answer! Fortunately, it's not too much for God.

One of my favorite Christian songs is by Matt Redmon entitled "Never Let Go." The lyrics of the chorus are these:
Oh no, You never let go
Through the calm and through the storm
Oh no, You never let go
In every high and every low
Oh no, You never let go
Lord, You never let go of me

God will never let go of you - or send you away - or tell you that you are annoying Him. He can handle your joys, your sorrows, your highs, your lows, your complaints, your desperation, your fears, your tears. God hears you when you beg for help... or forgiveness... or mercy... or peace. Maybe it might be nice for Him to hear you quietly say (in a moment when it's true!) that "All is well, God. I'm good right now. Thanks!" Maybe He'd appreciate sharing a moment of your peace and quiet with you.... because He is the Father of us all.... And all of HIs kids talking at once sure makes a lot of noise!! :-)

Have a blessed day,
:) Mags
Pin It! Share this article on Pinterest!

1 comment:

Tammy E. said...

See, this is why I said your blog inspires me. Anyone who has children, and even those of us whose children are grown, know about days like these. I remember telling my kids when they were little, "I'm not your social director. Go outside and find something to do!" LOL. My bad. Anyway, I would never have thought about it the way you had said -- about how God never does like Jim Carrey and how we are all yelling in His ear. Great things to ponder. Thanks for sharing!