- Adam and Eve - who disobeyed God's only order, ate from The Tree, and opened a whole can of worms for the rest of us!
- Jonah - who was gobbled up by a big fish and spit back out on the beach when he tried to hide from God.
- Sarah - who did not believe God when he said she would become pregnant.
- Egypt's Pharoah - who held captive the Israelites and endured plagues upon plagues until he finally believed Moses and set them free.
- The Prodigal Son - who thought he knew better, and squandered his inheritance only to return, shamed, penniless, and asking for forgiveness.
- Samson - who, in a weak moment of lust, gives away the secret of his strength - only to have it used against him.
- Lot's Wife - who disobeyed and looked back at the cities of Sodom and Gomorrah... and was turned into a pillar of salt.
- Judas - who betrayed Jesus which leads to his crucifixion
There are countless others - in fact, my husband is sitting beside me as I type this post listing off more and more!! :)
The Bible tells us lots of things about choices and wisdom; here are just a few I found in Proverbs (The Message translation):
Proverbs 16:16 - Get wisdom - it's worth more than money. Choose insight over income every time.
Proverbs 16:21 - A wise person gets known for insight; gracious words add to one's reputation.
Proverbs 16:22 - True intelligence is a pring of fresh water, while fools sweat it out the hard way.
Proverbs 17:21 - Having a fool for a child is misery; its no fun being the parent of a dolt!
Proverbs 17:28 - Even dunces who keep quiet are thought to be wise; as long as they keep their mouths shut, they're smart!
Making a wise decision requires being informed. You wouldn't go out and buy a house or a car without doing the necessary research, would you? When you buy a house, you interview mortgage lenders, do home inspections, check out the neighborhood. You test-drive a potential car, get reviews from friends who've owned that model, read Consumer Reports. In everything you do, being informed will help you make the best possible decision. And when it comes to living the best possible life, being informed means knowing the guidelines God has set forth for you - it means knowing what's in the Bible.
People ruin their lives by their own stupidity, so why does God always get blamed?
It's easy to blame God when things go wrong. But, when things go wrong, is there any possibility that some decision you made was on a pathway apart from God? Certainly, that's not always the case - BUT, if so, you need to gather yourself up, and reset yourself along the right path, and start again.
Being a "dumb bunny" only leads to trouble, remorse, heartache, and misery. Following God's Word will not totally exempt us from those things - BUT, it will certainly help make things easier for us! Don't have time to read the WHOLE BIBLE...? Start with Proverbs - it's packed with tidbits of wisdom that will help you lead a better life...
To ask a moron to quote a proverb is like putting a scalpel in the hands of a drunk. 26:9
Hire a fool or a drunk and you'll shoot yourself in the foot. 26:10
As a dog eats its own vomit, so fools recycle silliness. 26:11
Discipline your children; you'll be glad you did - they'll turn out delightful to live with. 29:17
A fool lets it all hang out; a sage quietly mulls it over. 29:11
An honest answer is like a warm hug 24:26
I hope you found some honest answers today!